BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 23, 2009

Fit4Life, Buglasan, & Balot

The reason I haven't updated lately is not because I'm too lazy, for once, but instead because nothing worthy of writing about had really happened.

Monday afternoon, my aunt took me to enroll at Fit4Life, the gym I'd wanted to enroll at since I got here. She even hired me a personal trainer for the day, and I spent two hours there working out. I really enjoyed it, and it must have intrigued her as well because the next afternoon, Tuesday, she and my mom joined me. They enrolled, and the three of us worked out with the same personal trainer. Straight after leaving the gym, my aunt and uncle took my mom and I to Buglasan (the Negros festival going on right now), and while my visited with my godmother and a few of her other childhood friends, the three of us walked around the booths.








Wednesday, my aunt, my mom, and I went to the gym again, still with the same trainer. But only after a delicious breakfast of squid, chicken intestines, and stewed pig parts! Hahaha, unfortunately, I stuck to my good ol' reliable fried rice.



We didn't work out yesterday or today, but I'm still sore! I'm really glad to be getting back into shape though. Thursday (yesterday) was a lot of fun. I accidentally lost track of time, so I wasn't ready to go to the gym when my aunt came to pick me up (my mom wasn't feeling well, so it was just going to be the two of us). It's just as well, though, because that afternoon my uncle took my mom and I to watch the Folk Dance Competition. It was so neat! I love watching people dance, and I especially love cultural dances. I didn't bring my camcorder with me to the show, but I wish I would have. It was in the evening so I didn't think there would be enough light to record, but they ended up having plenty of bright stage lights. I think my mom mentioned that we could buy the video if I want, though, so maybe I can do that. The competition was divided into two divisions: Junior and Senior. They were all so good! I personally wasn't happy with the grand prize decisions for either divisions (I can say for a fact that there had to have been some funny business going on) and it was soooo crowded (the woman sitting in front of me kept using my legs as a backrest and her obnoxious little children kept climbing all over me), but I still enjoyed it. I love the Spanish-inspired dances, and the candle dance (can't remember the name) has always been my favorite. One group performed tinikiling (the national dance, which is performed using large bamboo poles - it was awesome, and I think they should have won for the Senior division) and another group performed a bench dance (also awesome, but they only got third). There were plenty of other awesome dances as well, and I wish so badly that I would have brought my camera so I could share them here. All the same, it was fabulous. Afterward, we went to have dinner with friends of my aunt and uncle. Their children were in my debut and yesterday was the daughter's own 18th birthday, and I we were invited to dine with them. Today was pretty uneventful for the first part of the day. We were supposed to go to Buglasan at 8 am to watch another regional dance competition, but we overslept. At 2 pm, after having lunch with my uncle's parents, my uncle took my mom and I and his niece who lives next door to McDonald's to watch the parade go by. Instead of a marching band like last time, there were floats, dancers, musicians, and the Mr./Ms. of each Negros region. We didn't have good enough of a view for me to record anything, but it was fun to watch (when we could actually see!). I think my favorite part of all of this are the costumes! They're always so unique! After that, we came back home and called it a day, even though it was still early. Then, only an hour or so ago, we drove out to the Boulevard to buy some balot (balut). I won't eat the stuff, but they all love it. Bruno has been asking me every time we talk since I got here if I've tried balot yet, and today when I told him we'd be buying some (but that I wouldn't be eating it!) he asked me to record someone eating it. He wants to "learn the technique." That boy wants so badly to try that fertilized, partially developed duck egg when he visits. It's hilarious. Thanks to my mom, uncle, and cousin for allowing me to film them! :D


The final product, dissected:

This is for Bruno, moo cows!:

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Hey Michelle! I came across your blog and I really like it. My mom is filipina as well and I've been back there a few times. The culture is beautiful, the food is great and it's amazing how they always make the best of everything and especially what they have there! Enjoy your time there!

dumaguete said...

Nice blog :)
By the way to know what's happening in Dumaguete check this site

http://www.negroshub.com/

For more info about Dumaguete City

http://www.negroshub.com/dumaguete-city/