BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cebu: Day 1

Yesterday (Tuesday, November 24), we woke up early to go to Cebu. We arrived at the ferry, only to find out that they were closed due to an incoming storm. We waited there for three hours to find out if the status would change, but it never did. Finally, we gave up and postponed our trip. The rest of the day, we did nothing.

Today, however, our luck was better. The storm passed last night, in the morning we were actually ready early, we made it to the ferry, and made the trip. I'd been dreading the ferry ride for the longest time because I was told it's almost an hour long and that the sea is so rough. It's funny because I totally ended up sleeping through it. I decided to take a nap while we waited for the ferry to leave, and I when I woke up we were already docked in Cebu. The drive to Cebu took us maybe two hours, but we made a couple of stops along the way.

First, we stopped at the Monastery of the Holy Eucharist in Sibonga. It was gorgeous, and the stories of the miracles witnessed there are interesting. Apparently, their "Mama Mary" statue shed tears during one of their celebrations in 1999. It was her birthday celebration (the statue's, I suppose? they didn't really give many details), so they were having "a very solemn celebration in front of the public, when suddenly a brilliant light appeared in the midst of the air." Minutes later, the face of the statue changed "into a very beautiful and alive young lady," followed by "an indescribable scent flowers" wrapping the entire chapel. The statue's eyes then watered, and she shed seven tears. There was a chapel full of people to witness it this event, according to the documents posted throughout the monastery, and there are several photos posted as well. People go there now to light candles and submit petitions. Apparently their wishes pretty much always get granted. Students go there asking for success on their exams, the sick or dying go there to ask for healing...there are letters posted throughout the place of people saying thank you after their prayers were answered. I'm a little cynical, but it's still an interesting story.





When we arrived, we all lit a petition candle. Mine was a violet one for achievement, and I submitted my petition, which of course regarded Bruno and I. The monks will read them and pray for us. My uncle said that he's only submitted a petition to Mary twice and that it was granted both times. My cousin lit a red candle for love today, and only minutes later he received a text, which caused him to tell my uncle that "his prayer had been granted". Maybe I'm a little cynical, mostly because I'm always cynical of supernatural occurrences that I haven't witnessed myself, but I do have faith in my prayer. I don't know when I'll ever know it's been granted since it was so vague, but I'm feeling hopeful all the same.





After lighting the candles, we toured through the monastery and took pictures. I was wearing shorts (long capri-type shorts all the way to my knee), and they had me wrap up in a sarong so that I'd be dressed "modestly". Well, they didn't say that, but they did have me wear the sarong, so I assume that's why.















We then continued on our drive. We stopped in a city called Carcar, which I guess is famous for their leather shoes. We stopped at a small outdoor shopping center devoted entirely to their handmade shoes. I bought two pairs of handmade woven flipflops (actually, my aunt paid for them, which was really nice of her) - one for me and one for a gift.


When we finally arrived in Cebu City, we checked into our hotel, then grabbed lunch at the hotel's rooftop restaurant. I had the cordon bleau and rice. Afterward, we freshened up, then went to SM mall, a huge (real) mall with several branches throughout the Philippines. We just walked around and wasted time for a while. Had dinner at a fried chicken, etc. restaurant. Looked around the stores. I bought a sweater, a native fan that I'd like to use for my wedding, a pearl rosary to give as a gift, and 6 each of x and x to give to each of my bridesmaids later. I'm so excited to have my bridesmaid gifts taken care of, and they are fabulous! Finally, we went to the movie theater in the SM mall to watch Disney's A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey. It was really cute, and it was even in 3D. I don't normally like 3D movies because they tend to give me a headache, but this one was wasn't bad. It was cute.




Now, I'm just sitting in my hotel room. Yes, I have an entire hotel room (two twin beds) to myself. On one hand, it's nice not having to share with everyone, especially because I'm really obsessive with the cleanliness and set-up of things to begin with and it only gets worse when you add renting a hotel to the equation. On the other hand, it's lonely and creepy. Both of my aunts families each got a room, and both got rooms beside each other. I, however, am far down the hall all by myself. Again, creepy. I've kept the TV on to make it less scary, and I'll probably keep it on overnight. I'm really hoping Bruno will get online so I can talk to him. I haven't talked to him in so long.

1 comments:

Mr Vice said...

A BDU shirt? Really? Are you trying to upset Jesus? :P

And now we've talked on messenger. And we'll talk again tomorrow. So stop your complaining.

Sorry to hear the place is scary by yourself. Don't get eaten by a sigbin